Tomato Jam

I first had tomato jam at FIVE restaurant in Berkeley this summer. It was served in a dollop on top of goat cheese orzo “mac and cheese” with morel mushrooms. It added a sweet flavor that balanced perfectly with the cheese. Because I was inspired during the summer, I was able to make the jam with great seasonal tomatoes from my parents' garden. The second time I had tomato jam was recently at Umbuntu in Napa. It was served as a jelly doughnut along with burrata cheese. Again, it was so delicious I had to make it again. Unfortunately, tomatoes are no longer in season so I used canned tomatoes this time.

Tomatoes contain large amounts of vitamin C and provide good amounts of vitamin A, potassium and iron. They are well known for containing lycopene, a compound which acts as an antioxidant. Studies have shown that lycopene reduces the risk of developing most cancers, such as prostate, stomach, lung, breast and endometrial cancer. Lycopene is also great for healthy eyes and improving cardiovascular health. Please note that tomatoes are a member of the nightshade family (which includes potatoes and peppers) and may cause aches and pains in some people.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 lb tomatoes, roughly cut
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely minced
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2 teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
  • 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
DIRECTIONS

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat. Keep at a simmer for about an hour, occasionally stirring gently, until the mixture thickens to a jam-like consistency. Put tomato jam into sterilized jars (you can find instructions for sterilizing jars at this post). This jam will store in the fridge for a couple weeks.

Here I had the jam on gluten-free sandwich bread from Mariposa Bakery and topped it with Tickler cheddar. Let me know how you think you will enjoy it!

Bookmark and Share

19 comments:

penny aka jeroxie said...

Looks great! Will be looking forward to making some this summer.

5 Star Foodie said...

Tomato jam sounds terrific! I would love to try it!

Mother Rimmy said...

Oh my gosh! I have been looking for a recipe for a tomato jam that I purchased at the local farmer's market, and this sound just like it. Thank you, I can't wait to try it!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

What a versatile condiment. Would be good as part of a cheese plate, I suspect!

Simply Life said...

I'm always so impressed when people make their own jam! this looks great!

Shelly @ EC Pursuits said...

I've never tried Tomato Jam before but always thought it was a great idea! Thanks for sharing this recipe - I'll have to try it soon!

Rochelle said...

I love tomatoes, but I've never had tomato jam. I think even if I can't grow any of my own I'll have to give this a try with some tomatoes from the store :)

wasabi prime said...

Oh, heavenly! This sounds like the perfect balance of sweet and savory, and a great way to keep the flavor of tomatoes handy all year-round.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This is very interesting! I've never been to either restaurants but have heard great things about both. I'm sure the tomato jam is quite good!

Mae said...

Totally brilliant way to preserve tomatoes - I have to remember this for Summer... and in the meantime, just make some with the market tomatoes on hand ;)

Kitchen M said...

I've been wanting to go to Ubuntu for a long time, but I haven't been able to find anyone who appreciates the great vegetarian food or doesn't mind crossing the bridges and driving all the way to Napa.
When you go there next time, let me know. ;)

I'm definitely making this! It sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe and ideas. Happy Holidays!

Lauren said...

What a great idea! I love the sound of tomato jam =D.

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Delicious and wholesome! Beautiful shade of red!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

Sounds delicious! I wonder if it would taste good on that slice of bread with the addition of eggs?

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I have read about tomato jam, but I have never actually had it. I love tomatoes, and I will give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

Samra said...

The bottom photo looks so good. I bet it tastes like gourmet pizza!

Karine said...

That is the first time I hear about tomato jam and it looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)

Karinna said...

I always wondered if you could turn tomatoes into jam. Thanks for the recipe!

Divina Pe said...

Love the interesting flavors to liven up any dish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails