Golden Beet and Sweet Potato Soup....and a Side Table


This weekend I discovered my new favorite blog, Knock off Wood, where Ana gives instructions on how to make Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel and other furniture knock offs. I love a good project so I was excited to get started right away! My first piece was a knock off pottery barn side table. It was really easy and inexpensive, thanks to Ana's great instructions, and I'm already looking forward to my next piece--a knock off pottery barn bed to match.


After I finished up with the table, I was hungry, and since it was cold and raining, I was really craving a good soup. I decided to make a golden beet and sweet potato soup. It is a great warming soup, that is naturally quite sweet. And it has cinnamon in it, which as some of you know by now, I am obsessed with. You don't need to include the apple juice, you can always use water instead, but I feel that it brings out the sweet earthy flavors of the beets and sweet potatoes. This soup is thickened and flavored with coconut milk, which I realize that I have cooked with quite often and not really discussed.

Coconut milk contains calcium, potassium, chloride, vitamin A and vitamin E. Due to the lauric acid present, coconut milk boosts the immune system and fights off bacteria and germs. This is due to it's anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. Lauric acid also helps to keep the arteries and heart clean and healthy, which makes it beneficial in the prevention of heart disease. Coconut milk has hydrating, moisturizing and repairing properties, which makes it great for hair, skin and nails, whether applied externally or enjoyed while eaten.


I would, of course, be remiss, if I did not mention the nutritional benefits of beets. Beets are an excellent source of folate (a B vitamin) and a very good source of manganese and potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus. Beets reduce inflammation, are an excellent blood tonic, have cancer preventing properties and are great for those who are at risk for heart disease. So make this soup and eat up!

INGREDIENTS
  • 6 yellow beets, peeled and diced
  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup pure apple juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • sea salt
DIRECTIONS

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan, then add beets and sweet potatoes. Saute, partially covered, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add apple juice and continue to saute, about 10 more minutes, until vegetables are tender and caramelized.

Add the spices and cook for a minute. Then add the coconut milk, salt (about 1 teaspoon) and enough water to cover the vegetables (about 4 cups). Simmer for 5 minutes, then puree well in the blender or with an immersion blender. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve!


Now, if only I had thought to take a picture of the bowl of soup on the table...
 
Bookmark and Share