White Bean Dip

As a student, I love to snack. Reading page after page makes me so hungry! I know I am not the only person who likes to snack as they study and it is important to watch what you are eating. If I am not careful I could go through a whole bag of chips! I try to make homemade snack foods that are not only nutritious but satisfying. I also need to be able to make it quickly, because I have studying to do. One of my favorite snacks is white navy bean dip.

Navy beans are a great source of folate, manganese, phosphorus, copper, magnesium and iron. They are also a good source of protein and fiber. An added benefit while studying is the high levels of B1, or thiamin, present in navy beans which participate in enzymatic reactions critical for cognitive function and energy production.

Print Recipe
INGREDIENTS

2 cups slow cooked white beans
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
¼ chopped fresh herbs (sage is my favorite)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Mash beans in a bowl or blend in a food processor and set aside. Heat a pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil till warm. Heat garlic and sage leaves until crispy and fragrant, careful not to burn! Pour mixture over beans and add the last tablespoon of olive oil. Mash or blend the mixture together and season to taste with sea salt and pepper.

You can eat this dish with fresh veggies (carrots, cucumbers, bell peppers) or with whole grain crackers or chips.